MAQS or CONNS?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many technology companies are known for just pricing in pounds the same number they use in dollars. Basically, the only logic that ciukd apply in most cases is they charge what they can get away with

Why so expensive for MAQS? Well, as said there's VAT. But the big expense is getting the VMD registration, The treatment is formic acid, a generic substance. You could not register that, the "product" is the active ingredient plus delivery system. The costs of the regulatory stamp are often quoted at tens of thousands. The sales are, what, no more than tens of thousands themselves. I guess the price here reflects the registration costs and the relatively smaller market to spread those costs over.

I assume that state tax is included within the price quoted on the USA site and that shipping from the manufacturer in Canada is also included? Even with 20% VAT the price difference is still great.
The cost of VMD registration may have been stated as tens of thousands but a look on the VMD website http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2033/schedule/7/part/3/made

suggests different, at £3040.

S

US price per 10 treatment tub $47.95 = £28.68
UK price per 10 treatment tub =£61.80

Comparing US and UK prices is rarely straightforward. There are obvious differences like our VAT is higher than US sales tax. But also less obvious; UK corporate tax is higher and our national insurance and income tax is higher. These mean UK company's costs tend to be higher. It's not all bad news since, although our MAQS is more expensive our public services are vastly superior. I certainly prefer the UK set up than the US.

Back