MAQS or CONNS?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
I have been looking at various treatments for varroa and thought I would price up MAQS, supposedly quick and easy to use
I tried Mxxn Pond (you know who I mean)
US price per 10 treatment tub $47.95 = £28.68
UK price per 10 treatment tub =£61.80
I then tried other bee supplies
big T, same pack =£61.80
Massies , same pack =£61.70

I would assume that the US store is making a profit at £28.68 so does it really cost a further £33.02 to send each tub over the pond?

As they work well I think I will stick to Thymol treatments this year
S

You have to add VAT at 20% plus shipping to US prices..

Beefarmers Ass were selling them to members for £41, seemed to of stopped due to lack of demand, among other things.

Im sticking to Hivemakers thymol treatment works really well and so much cheaper.

Many technology companies are known for just pricing in pounds the same number they use in dollars. Basically, the only logic that ciukd apply in most cases is they charge what they can get away with

Why so expensive for MAQS? Well, as said there's VAT. But the big expense is getting the VMD registration, The treatment is formic acid, a generic substance. You could not register that, the "product" is the active ingredient plus delivery system. The costs of the regulatory stamp are often quoted at tens of thousands. The sales are, what, no more than tens of thousands themselves. I guess the price here reflects the registration costs and the relatively smaller market to spread those costs over.

Im sticking to Hivemakers thymol treatment works really well and so much cheaper.

+1

(I was not brought up (dragged up?) in Scotland for nothing...)

You have to add VAT at 20% plus shipping to US prices..

£28.68 plus 20% and shipped in bulk is still a long way short of the retail price being bandied around the UK. Someone being greedy perhaps?
What is the price of a bucket in Europe?

do we need a Hivemaker recipe to make our own Formic acid formula

Last edited:
do we need a Hivemaker recipe to make our own Formic acid formula

I for one would be unhappy with making my own mix. The potential for harm is too great.

I cannot see any responsible forum publishing a recipe... too many things to go wrong.. Someone always gets it wrong when they don't follow instructions.

I can see that someone can easily formulate a recipe for formic acid treatment. It is a mild acid similar to oxalic acid...and beekeepers are happy to dilute that and use it in their hives. At least you would know what was in it...not loads of stabilisers, preservatives etc. there is no reason why homemade treatments can't be as efficient and safe as those made in a factory.....for which we pay through the nose. An awful lot of veterinary treatments can be made at home for a fraction of the cost if supplied by the vet. The drug companies have had us on toast for decades...the NHS was heaven sent unquestioned income for them. Grrrrr.....rant over,

I can see that someone can easily formulate a recipe for formic acid treatment.

Beekeepers have been using formic for mite control for over 30 years, just use at 85% or dilute to the % required.

Last edited:
I can see that someone can easily formulate a recipe for formic acid treatment. It is a mild acid similar to oxalic acid...,

Yes but it peals skin if you do not use rubber cloves. And you get no alarm feeling from it.

Beekeepers have been using formic for mite control for over 30 years, just use at 85% or dilute to the % required.

I suppose the key is knowing what concentration the MAQS strips contain. As to handling there are basic precautions to observe as with any corrosive material. Thymol and Oxalic acid to name just two. Rubber gloves and a basic chemical vapour respirator with eye protection are readily available from a number of sources. A sensible adult should be capable of handling the chemicals involved without calamity.
For less than sensible - Darwin rules!

Yes but it peals skin if you do not use rubber cloves. And you get no alarm feeling from it.

And the laws of human nature mean that if it's a DIY remedy, someone will use bare hands...and drop some on their feet (in sandals of course).. and the baby will drink from the bottle.. and etc etc.

Why so expensive for MAQS? Well, as said there's VAT. But the big expense is getting the VMD registration ... The costs of the regulatory stamp are often quoted at tens of thousands. The sales are, what, no more than tens of thousands themselves. I guess the price here reflects the registration costs and the relatively smaller market to spread those costs over.
:yeahthat:

Sad but true.

As it is, per colony it costs perhaps half a jar of honey more than using Apiguard and gives you up to six weeks extra foraging time.
Per colony, it costs not very much more than a pound jar of honey sells for.

So, it is hardly a significant component in the costs of the hobby … and, having got the front end costs of official approval and "brand establishment" out of the way, there should be the potential for discounting and price competition in the future.

All this doom and gloom about home formic application. Try looking up nassenheider evaporator.

I have used the Association one.

Not a process I intend to repeat.

Many technology companies are known for just pricing in pounds the same number they use in dollars. Basically, the only logic that ciukd apply in most cases is they charge what they can get away with

Why so expensive for MAQS? Well, as said there's VAT. But the big expense is getting the VMD registration, The treatment is formic acid, a generic substance. You could not register that, the "product" is the active ingredient plus delivery system. The costs of the regulatory stamp are often quoted at tens of thousands. The sales are, what, no more than tens of thousands themselves. I guess the price here reflects the registration costs and the relatively smaller market to spread those costs over.

I assume that state tax is included within the price quoted on the USA site and that shipping from the manufacturer in Canada is also included? Even with 20% VAT the price difference is still great.
The cost of VMD registration may have been stated as tens of thousands but a look on the VMD website http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2033/schedule/7/part/3/made

Latest posts

Back