Clean up time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterxix

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bees cleaning up Frames after They have been Extracted, The frames are about 1 mile from my Apiary, So no chance of robbing

Why do that ? if you wanted them cleaned you should have put them back on the hive

Bees cleaning up Frames after They have been Extracted, The frames are about 1 mile from my Apiary, So no chance of robbing

Mmm.......I wouldn't be so confident. And why donate some of your bees' honey to other apiaries around? I put my wet combs in a super above a crown board.

From your apiary not necessarily anyone elses.

[/B]

Mmm.......I wouldn't be so confident. And why donate some of your bees' honey to other apiaries around? I put my wet combs in a super above a crown board.

Why above a CB? I put most if not all of mine back in the supers they came from with cappings in a feeder of some sort - Miller/Ashforth about best if a large quantity. Better anyway to put them below BB perhaps? Comments/ridicule welcome.

Why above a CB? I put most if not all of mine back in the supers they came from with cappings in a feeder of some sort - Miller/Ashforth about best if a large quantity. Better anyway to put them below BB perhaps? Comments/ridicule welcome.

Yes, under the CB if you want honey to remain in the super e.g. preparing for autumn feeding but over the CB if you want the combs cleaned and devoid of honey prior to winter storage of surplus supers.

I'm presuming you did this to save returning to an out apiary some miles away, still not what I would have done, easier to seal them in those boxes and return to your hives on the next trip there

Yes, under the CB if you want honey to remain in the super e.g. preparing for autumn feeding but over the CB if you want the combs cleaned and devoid of honey prior to winter storage of surplus supers.

doesn't always go to plan espcially if you leave them on too long or with too big a hole ( on bee space is fine)

:iagree:
Absolutely stupid thing to do.
Serve you right if somebody else is doing the very same thing 100 yards from your bees!

well lets hope for the sake of your bees that none of the foreign bees on your comb have, EFB, AFB, Nosema A,Nosema C,CBPV, ABPV,IBPV, Sacbrood,Chalk brodspores, Black Qu virus,VirusX or VirusB

My preference is to put wet supers under the brood, rather than above a crownboard with a tiny hole.

Underneath, they think its IN the hive, just in the wrong place, so they tidy up.
No great fuss.
My only problem is needing help to lift the stores-heavy 14x12 broods OFF the shallows when the time comes!

But with the supers placed above, you are trying to convince them (by the small hole) that its actually outside the hive -- which is when the recruits start looking around near the hive for this free honey to "rob". Unfortunately, it can lead to real robbing --- BECAUSE the dance language doesn't have the vocab for "just up above", only "its really close to the hive".

Leaving them out for whatever passing bees to open-feed on is every bit as daft as any other open feeding.

My preference is to put wet supers under the brood, rather than above a crownboard with a tiny hole. Underneath, they think its IN the hive, just in the wrong place, so they tidy up. No great fuss. My only problem is needing help to lift the stores-heavy 14x12 broods OFF the shallows when the time comes!
But with the supers placed above, you are trying to convince them (by the small hole) that it's actually outside the hive -- which is when the recruits start looking around near the hive for this free honey to "rob". Unfortunately, it can lead to real robbing --- BECAUSE the dance language doesn't have the vocab for "just up above", only "its really close to the hive".
Leaving them out for whatever passing bees to open-feed on is every bit as daft as any other open feeding.

Glad you agree with my earlier post here. They will clean the frames by moving what honey is left up to the BB if they have the space - which they will almost certainly do - and then it's stored and available for the winter. Might still need autumn feeding after Apiguard or whatever at end of August even so.

To put extracted box under brood box is like you invite other hives to rob.

It goes fine when you put the box topmost. And wasps.

My preference is to put wet supers under the brood, rather than above a crownboard with a tiny hole.

Underneath, they think its IN the hive, just in the wrong place, so they tidy up.
No great fuss.
My only problem is needing help to lift the stores-heavy 14x12 broods OFF the shallows when the time comes!

I wish one of our colonies had read this post. The have now insisted on using half and a brood!

To put extracted box under brood box is like you invite other hives to rob.

I agree Finman... and lifting double brood colonies up on top of four or five supers to be cleaned is a lot of work, plus they could not be further from their entrance to protect the hive from robbers, even with reducers in.

Poor Peterxix.....I bet it seems like such a good idea at the time.....watching the bees busily cleaning up. You set it up beautifully...and a lovely photo for the archives......Oh Well.....I think most of the bullets have been fired....you can come out now.....

Latest posts

Back