Sugar at great price.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play the sugar markets.....Makro have Whitworths 1Kg x 15 at £8.99 for a few days if you can't be bothered with lugging carrier bags home on the bus.

Still dearer than FarmFoods.

Last time I was in a Macro a 25kg sack was over £20.

It's indoors now, makes it rather hard to deal with if it gets wet.

I would need to take a hammer to it before I could get the shovel in.

just bought a 5kg bag in tesco for 3.85...77p/kg... rather expensive compared to your supplies

Farmfoods are doing it at 59p per kg (silver spoon).

Just bought 25kg for £14.75 which is cheaper than Bookers even with their offer.

Thanks for the heads-up, kighill and Moggett. Bought some this afternoon at the Farmfoods near us and because I spent more than £50 they gave me 10% off, without me even asking. That brought down the cost to about 53p per kg - much better than the 75p per kg I paid last year for 25Kg bags.

Just back from Costco:

15 x 1kg bags £8.45 (= 56p / kg)
25kg bag £13.50 (= 54p / kg)

Supermarket prices are consumer lead without any doubt!

I have cast the net wide this year as times are hard with minimal pay increases for most of us who actually work for a living, and minimal profit it seems from Beeforum members, if any, from honey or bee sales.

Waitrose and Asda deliver free to me even though we live far out in the remotest reach of rural Devon.

Once upon a time I would have bulk ordered from Tesco or even driven to the Bookers shed in Plymouth,( my Great Aunt lives in Honiknole so we could kill two birds with one stone) but taking into account fuel or delivery charges, and the fact they do not sell at lost lead prices, they are now both adding £100+ to my sugar cost.
Most of my sugar consumption goes into nuc feeding, as the type of bee I now keep seems to be quite frugal with winter stores ( in comparison with my sisters Ferrari Bees)

Even though John Lewis is fleeing from the Scots I may use one of his stores, much as though I can only see this a political meddling.

Taking all factors into the melting pot, which is the most economical way to buy your bee sugar?

James

Taking all factors into the melting pot, which is the most economical way to buy your bee sugar?

James

Local Bookers (10 miles) 2 x 25kg sacks for £30.
60p per kilo.

I stopped using ambrosia this year as at £12.70 for 12.5kg drum it was too expensive, although handy.

Perhaps I should have added, in the impoverished South West ( although I here that the Cameron fellow has promised a derisory few quid to prop up the sea defenses!

Local Bookers (10 miles) 2 x 25kg sacks for £30.
60p per kilo.

I stopped using ambrosia this year as at £12.70 for 12.5kg drum it was too expensive, although handy.

For me Bookers is about 10 miles from work, but takes almost an hour to get there and back.

Also, the offer is limited to two. I have tried bending their rules, and they don't like it.
Once you take into account the hassle factor, the ridiculous queues with often 1 person serving, the fuel and the time, it puts me off going to Bookers.
Most of the time, I just end up filling a trolley with 5Kg bags when doing the weekly shop (much to the wife's embarrassment! :) ). 5Kg bags is a very convenient size, and have paid more than 77p a Kg in the past.

Finding an optimal method of buying sugar is still on my list of things to do.

For me Bookers is about 10 miles from work, but takes almost an hour to get there and back.

Also, the offer is limited to two. I have tried bending their rules, and they don't like it.
Once you take into account the hassle factor, the ridiculous queues with often 1 person serving, the fuel and the time, it puts me off going to Bookers.
Most of the time, I just end up filling a trolley with 5Kg bags when doing the weekly shop (much to the wife's embarrassment! :) ). 5Kg bags is a very convenient size, and have paid more than 77p a Kg in the past.

Finding an optimal method of buying sugar is still on my list of things to do.

Good luck!
I feel Tesco (as much as I hate their political funding ways) may get my order!

James

Latest posts

Back