Stings, immunity, and NSAIDS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... there won't be a consensus simply because we are all different.

This thread highlights the fact that, for some people, ibuprofen can make bee stings worse. ...

Quite, and my principal advice was to be particularly prudent (bee buddy, phone, location, etc) at least until you understand your individual response to the NSAID + beesting combo.

No wonder - especially as think someone has got the totally wrong end of the stick here

NO !!! 'Tis you with the wrong end of the stick!

I think you both got the wrong end of the stick....this is the correct way....

The treatment material is 3.2% oxalic acid in a 1:1 sugar solution.

Make up a sugar syrup consisting of 1 kg sugar in 1 L of water. To this should be added 75 gm of oxalic acid dihydrate and well mixed. This will make 1.67 L of treatment material.

I think you have to "suck it and see"

Have you explored steroid shots into the joint or is that sledgehammer territory?

Yes, that's the GP's next tactic if this doesn't work, but she wanted me to go with the ibuprofen first (I can't take diclofenac at all). Thanks, will see what happens, glad you cracked it!

HM you made my eyes bleed! My reply to yours is Tanqueray No.10 :D

Great I'm on NSAIDS and beta Blockers.
I rang the pharmacist and he has no knowledge of any reaction and basically told me it was rubbish.
Great advice from him 5 mins on the net has me concerned.

The treatment material is 3.2% oxalic acid in a 1:1 sugar solution.

Make up a sugar syrup consisting of 1 kg sugar in 1 L of water. To this should be added 75 gm of oxalic acid dihydrate and well mixed. This will make 1.67 L of treatment material.

Thanks HM, you saved me having to look that up. Oh, & :icon_204-2: .

I was quite suprised last year that whilst still under the influence of various painkillers and anti-biotics than when a bee got under my top and stung me right near one of my troubles kidneys, that I didnt really feel much at all.

I'm twelve months into a course of venom immunotherapy. Having originally had 'normal' sting reactions, and the occasional Mr Michelin forearm, I developed bad systemic response. At that time I was taking ibuprofen (!). I've not taken any NSAIDs At all since that time; my sting reactions are now barely noticeable. So hats off to the NHS. But now in the face of raging sciatica, not helped by shifting 3 14x12 colonies a few weeks ago, I'm wondering how wise it would be to try again. My immunologist is sceptical and non-committal over the link between NSAIDS and sting response. And the evidence is sketchy; at the last count a few case reports and few papers, no systematic studies or good quality empirical evidence. So... Does anyone out there have experience (or opinions) on the wisdom of taking NSAIDS while on immunotherapy? Or do I just have to find a burly beekeeper bloke to help with the lifting?!

LJ

... Or do I just have to find a burly beekeeper bloke to help with the lifting?!

LJ

Always a good idea to have a few bee-buddies that you can call on for help (of whatever nature) should it be needed. :)

I am interested in this post. I was stung on one temple last Easter day. The whole side of my face swelled up and both eyes closed. I felt quite ill - groggy and dizzy. I got uglier and uglier over 3 days. Children turned their faces away and screamed when they saw me. I used piriton immediately and regularly, hydrocortisone cream to the site. Now, 3 months before that. I slipped 2 discs lifting the bloody turkey and was on high doses of naproxen, an NSAID. Now I am wondering if there is a connection.

By the way, after a year of truly awful sciatica, the whole year ruined, I had a radiologically-guided injection into the spine. Miraculous, no pain at all for a month now and counting. I would recommend.

My understanding is that NSAIDS like ibuprofen, dcilofenac, naproxen may all lead to a greater allergic response to a bee sting - not entirely sure why though. So too can exercise as the metabolism speeds up.
I had a systemic reaction last May (when I had run a 10K race earlier in the day), I'm currently having the bee sting de-sensitisation therapy. Mine is slower than most as I had reactions to minute amounts of bee venom, but getting there in the end

I am interested in this post. I was stung on one temple last Easter day. The whole side of my face swelled up and both eyes closed. I felt quite ill - groggy and dizzy. I got uglier and uglier over 3 days. Children turned their faces away and screamed when they saw me. I used piriton immediately and regularly, hydrocortisone cream to the site. Now, 3 months before that. I slipped 2 discs lifting the bloody turkey and was on high doses of naproxen, an NSAID. Now I am wondering if there is a connection.

By the way, after a year of truly awful sciatica, the whole year ruined, I had a radiologically-guided injection into the spine. Miraculous, no pain at all for a month now and counting. I would recommend.

I got stung by a honey bee, at a BBQ last year, yes great laughs to the others at the BBQ, that the beekeeper got stung! (but at least it was me, and I know what its like!), I was not even doing any hive inspections that week, so didn't have a any beekeeping cloths on, or near any hives, bee just turned up at the BBQ, got caught in my hair, panicked and stung me on the temple!

turned into a Klingon from Star Trek, and one eye started to close, followed by the other, went to the Doctors for steroids again!

He stated, that the reaction looked minor, and the swelling is due to less fat/skin which can expand around the face, I felt okay, other than itchy eyes, I didn't feel groggy and dizzy.

Latest posts

Back