Stings, immunity, and NSAIDS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should it be after his fell-running or after he fell,running
Probably both. He and a mate had grand ideas of running the Bob Graham but never did though they were up in the hills all day every weekend.

Gordons is only 37% proof. And insipid.
Tanqueray is 43.1%. And strong.
Bombay Sapphire is 40%. And smooth.

( I checked my stocks for the second two. I don't drink Gordons unless it's free but know they downgraded from 40% a long time ago).

:iagree::iagree: to all of that - have a go at Plymouth gin Navy strength, that'll sort the men from the boys

Gordons went down to 37.5% (along with others) to take advantage of the lower Duty rate that was offered on the understrength spirit.
Now I'm not saying this is the fault of any particular individual Exciseman, but we should all be aware of where the blame lies!

Gordons went down to 37.5% (along with others) to take advantage of the lower Duty rate that was offered on the understrength spirit.
Now I'm not saying this is the fault of any particular individual Exciseman, but we should all be aware of where the blame lies!

Gordons is made in Scotland so we can boycott it when the Scots vote "Yes" :)

(I write as exiled Scot).....

I found this thread interesting as I regularly have bouts of pain due to a lifetime of being accident prone. Since reading this thread I have cut back on the painkillers and started using a TENs machine. It doesn't interfere with my immune system and works brilliantly.

I've found a TENs machine is brilliant for sciatic pain but the electrodes do have to be positioned in exactly the right place. No side effects, no cost to run, and doesn't turn my alimentary tract into one vast weeping sore like diclofenac once did in two days flat. (Too much information, I know, but beware of the stuff!)

Is it? I'm pretty sure there is a Gordon's plant in London

Who cares where Gordon's plant is.

There are only two gins worth drinking

2. Plymouth

1. Masons Yorkshire Gin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who cares where Gordon's plant is.

There are only two gins worth drinking

2. Plymouth

1. Masons Yorkshire Gin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubbish:)

Bombay Sapphire.:sunning:

Re-running an old thread . . .
Just been prescribed NSAIDs for arthritis in my shoulder. Doc had no knowledge of the ibuprofen/bee sting problem and no answer except not to get stung.
With the shoulder as it is without treatment I shall have difficulty lifting kit.
With ibuprofen I won't want to be shifting boxes around for the other reason, though my bees are docile and I rarely get stung (but that's bound to change now I need to avoid stings!)
Does anyone have any knowledge of alternate anti-inflammatories that might be safer? It's not for the pain, I can hack that, it's the problem moving and lifting.

My recollection of this topic is that the problem is one of 'resetting the clock' rather than increased reaction. With having a few stings over time, they seem to produce less reaction -- but Ibuprofen (and NSAIDs in general?) "may" put you back to square one.

Hence, its not supposed to be risking a dramatic reaction to a sting, just a slightly more dramatic one than you might have grown used to, one similar to when you started beekeeping.

The prudent precautions would seem to be what should be the usual ones. Best having someone else around, or at least knowing exactly where you are and when you should be back. Carry a fully-charged phone and know the postcode and/or gps coordinates of your apiary site - some folk with prior experience have a draft text message with the relevant info all set up ready in their phone. But probably most importantly handle the bees so as to minimise the chance of upsetting them - such as - early smoking, slow, deliberate, gentle movements and hand/glove soda-washing between hives.

There are some medical pro's on this forum, so you should get a better answer, but my feeling is that you might hope that the underlying problem might be tackled, rather than merely reducing the by-product (inflammation) with NSAIDs. And that the choice of whatever anti-inflammatory is probably better guided by your own overall medical needs rather than just trying to minimise a shouldn't-be-serious possibly-increased reaction to beestings.

Not a medic, but never heard of it. I take a fair amount of Non-steroidals for my knee, but not all the time. My reaction to beestings are minimal, and it's getting less and less.

I think you have to "suck it and see"
Stings cause me minor irritation, even when I first started and first got stung.
I was stung on the finger once when I had taken ibuprofen the day before and my arm swelled up to the elbow. I vowed to keep away from NSAIDs during the beekeeping season, forgot, was stung again and had no reaction at all.

Husband being a runner is often on anti inflammatories and gets no reaction even if he is stung on the face!

Have you explored steroid shots into the joint or is that sledgehammer territory?

I am totally lost by the advice on this thread. There doesn't seem to be any sort of consensus:judge:

Perhaps we are all so different, we have to do what works for us.

I would classify my reaction to stings as, 'normal'. I don't over react to stings, they do swell up slightly and itch the next day and then that gradually fades away over a few days. I don't take anything when I get stung but at the same time don't take any medication.

I am totally lost by the advice on this thread. There doesn't seem to be any sort of consensus

Perhaps we are all so different, we have to do what works for us.

Your last sentence is what it's all about,. and there won't be a consensus simply because we are all different.

This thread highlights the fact that, for some people, ibuprofen can make bee stings worse. It's something that can be looked at if an allergy test comes back negative.

my feeling is that you might hope that the underlying problem might be tackled, rather than merely reducing the by-product (inflammation) with NSAIDs. .

I am totally lost by the advice on this thread.

No wonder - especially as think someone has got the totally wrong end of the stick here - taking NSAIDS has got nothing to do with trying to reduce the inflamation of the bee sting.The NSAID s are taken for other medical reasons - people with joint or muscular pains (I have to take mine daily otherwise the sciatica/vertebral pain in my lower back would be unbearable. The OP was just enquiring as to the supposition on here that people taking NSAIDs experience an increased reaction to a bee sting FWIW I take a pretty hefty dose of diclofenac sodium daily (amongst other magic smarties) and bee stings seldom bother me

No wonder - especially as think someone has got the totally wrong end of the stick here - taking NSAIDS has got nothing to do with trying to reduce the inflamation of the bee sting.The NSAID s are taken for other medical reasons - people with joint or muscular pains (I have to take mine daily otherwise the sciatica/vertebral pain in my lower back would be unbearable. The OP was just enquiring as to the supposition on here that people taking NSAIDs experience an increased reaction to a bee sting FWIW I take a pretty hefty dose of diclofenac sodium daily (amongst other magic smarties) and bee stings seldom bother me

NO !!! 'Tis you with the wrong end of the stick!

NSAID - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug

They have been prescribed here to alleviate the painful inflammation around the arthritic joint.
My point was that they are tackling the inflammation, not the arthritis itself.
Llareggub to do with beesting inflammation!

Latest posts

Back