Stings, immunity, and NSAIDS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated earlier ! take lisinopril 10g daily and bisoprolol 2.5g daily, coincidently since being on this regime ,bee stings trouble me not .
I haven't a clue which medication is the likely if indeed either could be the catalyst ?

John Wilkinson

We are in unknown (unresearched) territory again here.
I see that bisoprolol is a beta blocker. Beta blockers suppress adrenaline and nor-adrenaline which amongst other things are part of the bodies 'fight or flight' response to shock and stress, and also have "a control or modulating effect on the cells of the immune system". There's the link again...
Extra adrenaline from an 'epi-pen' or injection is used to treat anaphylaxis or severe reaction to stings, which is apparently more of a problem for some taking beta blockers.
As with NSAIDs it seems that beta blockers can make the effects of stings better or worse depending on the circumstances.

I'm rapidly getting out of my depth here. Is there an immunologist in the house?

I have found after lengthy research - at grave personal cost and discomfort - that generous ingestion of medicine# makes worrying about bee stings a thing of the past.

# Ice plus Scweppes tonic water (chilled) plus Tanqueray.. A quadruple..or three

I have found after lengthy research - at grave personal cost and discomfort - that generous ingestion of medicine# makes worrying about bee stings a thing of the past.

# Ice plus Scweppes tonic water (chilled) plus Tanqueray.. A quadruple..or three

Sounds good to me. I get free prescriptions. -I wonder if my doc will prescribe that cure for me? ;)

We are in unknown (unresearched) territory again here.
I see that bisoprolol is a beta blocker. Beta blockers suppress adrenaline and nor-adrenaline which amongst other things are part of the bodies 'fight or flight' response to shock and stress, and also have "a control or modulating effect on the cells of the immune system". There's the link again...
Extra adrenaline from an 'epi-pen' or injection is used to treat anaphylaxis or severe reaction to stings, which is apparently more of a problem for some taking beta blockers.
As with NSAIDs it seems that beta blockers can make the effects of stings better or worse depending on the circumstances.

I'm rapidly getting out of my depth here. Is there an immunologist in the house?
Ah!well!,
The beta blocker Mh!.
I have always had severe local reactions to stings, including the odd bout of nettle rash .
I was warned about the nettle rash as being a preclude r to allergy!
I was given a large vodka by a Ukrainian friend ,to counter the nettle rash (It worked instantly) .

I don't suppose a medication designed for one complaint which turns out to help with another will be a first :).

John Wilkinson

This is a very useful thread thank you all ...

Admin, I propose it is a sticky.

My only other observation is that I am surprised people don't get stung more often ...the bees must hear you all coming with all these pills rattling around inside you!!! :ack2:

All the best,
Sam

This is a very useful thread thank you all ...

Admin, I propose it is a sticky.

My only other observation is that I am surprised people don't get stung more often ...the bees must hear you all coming with all these pills rattling around inside you!!! :ack2:

All the best,
Sam
Come Come I only have 9 pills daily :rolleyes:
I often think dropping the 'l' in pills would suffice :)

John Wilkinson

I've been a cheapskate and used Gordons. Tanquaray from now on!

Gordons is only 37% proof. And insipid.
Tanqueray is 43.1%. And strong.
Bombay Sapphire is 40%. And smooth.

( I checked my stocks for the second two. I don't drink Gordons unless it's free but know they downgraded from 40% a long time ago).

Ibuprofen and stings

There have been a number of threads concerning bee stings and immunity recently.

There are articles and discussion online about NSAID painkillers/anti-inflammatories, especially the stronger ones, affecting immunity. Apparently beta blockers can also affect the reaction to stings.

My previously good immunity has certainly been destroyed by taking prescription Diclofenac tablets to treat arthritis, and I am now back to a normal reaction to stings.

Many older folks here will be taking these types of medication. I am interested to hear the experience of other Bee-Botherers, and whether they think that their reaction to stings has been affected.

:bump::bump:

There are articles and discussion online about NSAID painkillers/anti-inflammatories, especially the stronger ones, affecting immunity. Apparently beta blockers can also affect the reaction to stings.

My previously good immunity has certainly been destroyed by taking prescription Diclofenac tablets to treat arthritis, and I am now back to a normal reaction to stings.

I'm on Diclofenac Max strength and stings hardly ever bother me (after the initial 30 second 'burn' - nothing)

Gordons is only 37% proof. And insipid.
Tanqueray is 43.1%. And strong.
Bombay Sapphire is 40%. And smooth.

( I checked my stocks for the second two. I don't drink Gordons unless it's free but know they downgraded from 40% a long time ago).

:iagree::iagree: to all of that - have a go at Plymouth gin Navy strength, that'll sort the men from the boys

I found this thread interesting as I regularly have bouts of pain due to a lifetime of being accident prone. Since reading this thread I have cut back on the painkillers and started using a TENs machine. It doesn't interfere with my immune system and works brilliantly.

I'm on Diclofenac Max strength and stings hardly ever bother me (after the initial 30 second 'burn' - nothing)

:iagree::iagree: to all of that - have a go at Plymouth gin Navy strength, that'll sort the men from the boys

http://tinyurl.com/kze2bct

100% proof..!

I think I'd like to keep my liver thanks...and I have no gunpowder to test it on...

Why not stick to a surface application

I have antihistamines in my bee kit and NSAID's at home.

I tend towards the "strong local reaction", although it is fading as I slowly develop immunity.

However, I find that a rapid application of ammonia solution (AfterB**e) seems to be as good as any other when I do manage to get stung somewhere delicate (usually by trapping some innocent worker in my elbow).

I assume that it is neutralising the acids and denaturing the peptides like melittin.

Clearly I am more healthy than you lot....I only take 5 pills, 2 inhalers and an allergy to morphine and any of its derivatives. After being stung recently...for the first time ever....found it was the itching afterwards that was the pits! Used all the normal OTC applications.....still painful still itching like fury! Advised to apply hot water...as hot as could bear without burning. Pain free and itch free for hours. Managed to sleep. Kept this up for a few days until the reaction died down. Brill.

I found this thread interesting as I regularly have bouts of pain due to a lifetime of being accident prone. Since reading this thread I have cut back on the painkillers and started using a TENs machine. It doesn't interfere with my immune system and works brilliantly.

Th only time I tried a TENs machine I found an epidural worked much better
:iagree: with JBM...Tanqueray is a pleasant analgesic.

I used a TENs machine when I had Little Miss Webmuppet too. The medics wanted me to avoid an epidural as I had a thick band of scar tissue just where they would stick the needle in and they weren't sure that they wanted to try and get a needle through it.

A TENS machine for normal pain relief is a different machine.

Back