Thymol for nosema: confusion re Sticky recipe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am about to add thymol to my autumn feed but am confused by Hivemaker's/Admin Sticky recipe (4th sticky down, recipe first posted by Hivemaker on 11/04/2010)
For the basic stock solution he advises 30g thymol crystals dissolved in 150 (presumably mls) surgical spirit or isopropyl alcohol. For the emulsified version, which I propose using, he advises 30g thymol in 5ml isopropyl alcohol. Is this correct or is there a typo?

You need to read on a little bit Amari -
"30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add 5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.
In another jar pour in 140 ml of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules, stir well,and place this jar into a water bath of boiling water,stirring often for abot ten minutes or so until most of the lecithin granules have dissolved,you can then strain this mixture through a teastrainer or similar to remove any granules that have not dissolved fully,then simply add the dissolved thymol to this mix,and shake well,will look just like a jar of milk."
The lecithin serves to help emulsification of the mix and in effect, the thymol is being added to 145ml of liquid.

Last edited:
I used the second (emulsified) recipe last year with no ill effects and I am pretty sure I stuck to the 5 ml IPA. The IPA AFAIK is only added to liquify the thymol so I am assuming 5 ml should work.

The most difficult bit was getting the Lectithin, ended up with a tin that will last until the year 3000!

No doubt some of the seasoned Thymol users will be along soon to advise.

For anyone else searching the recipe is here…

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49691&postcount=44

5ml isopropyl is right. 30g thymol dissolves with surprising ease.

The most difficult bit was getting the Lectithin, ended up with a tin that will last until the year 3000!

Haha much the same here but yes 5ml is right, I was surprised at first at the ease it dissolved. We use this in all our autumn and spring feeds.

Instead of lecithin...you can use honey...it is a good emulsifier...you will already have it...so no visit to shops....just use your own...not bought honey. Also, does anyone know if this recipe transmutes to using thyme essential oil. This oil is a pure distillation...so very strong....does anyone know how many drops are equal to 30 gms of crystals?

I use Ukrainian vodka instead of the isopropyl alcohol the bees don't mind and it helps my liver too.

I use meths... have not killed any bees and a lot cheaper.

I've used Hivemaker's recipes as above for the past three years with no problems; if the thymol/lecithin mix solidifies it easily remelts in minutes if you stand the (honey) jar you keep it in in hot water.

If you dissolve 30g of thymol crystals in 150ml surgical spirits/ isopropol alcohol or you dissolve 30g thymol crystals in 20ml of isopropol alchohol then mix a teaspoon of lecithin granules in 130ml of water then add together.
You still only use a 5ml spoonful of either in a gallon of syrup. One is emulsified and mixes well the other all alcohol tends to float.
What is the difference? Why 5ml of isopropanol?

I have used honey as an emulsifier...works well but not used it with thymol crystals. Only with essential oils. Just wondered what the equivalent thyme oil /thymol crystal would be.

I have used honey as an emulsifier...works well but not used it with thymol crystals. Only with essential oils. Just wondered what the equivalent thyme oil /thymol crystal would be.

Honey isn't an emulsifier, though may be serving as a viscous carrier in the application you are describing. How long do your honey emulsions remain emulsified? My lecithin based thymol mix has been in the fridge for a year and hasn't cracked yet.

Have to wait 10 months then the check that! Ha Ha

I think the whole point of the lecithin is that when it is mixed with the thymol it stays mixed when it is added to the syrup ie you get thymol throughout the syrup. When your honey/thymol is mixed with the syrup do you find it separates ie the thymol floats on top of the syrup and the honey mixes with the rest of the syrup? If yes,and I suspect this is the case, it's pretty much a waste of time.

Latest posts

Back