Tainted full super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjt42bike

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all!
I had to treat my hive in April with 2 rounds of MAQ strips and one of Apiguard to contain what I thought might prove to be a terminal case of varroa. (I know it was huge dose but frankly I had little to lose at that point when I had a count of 200-300 PER DAY!) Lessons on that score have been learnt.
The girls got through it and I have had a great harvest. My question is, now I have a packed full super of "tainted " honey which is not to be eaten by humans -from what I read . I am quite happy to feed it to them but am not sure of the best way to get them to take it down into the brood chamber(12x14) as the season ends and one starts to reduce the hive down. Do I bruise it and put it above with an empty super spacer or just leave a space with it still capped over Or what?
I also have a second hive so don't want any robbing if I can avoid it.
Helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Put it under the brood box. They will take it up.
I routinely nadir my uncapped frames leaving the super there until the Spring when it is invariable empty.

With a 14x12the super will give you loads of stores (maybe too much, so back to square one? Maybe you should split the super between the both hives - half to each) my thought would be to put the super under the BB, the bees will then move it up before winter.

Why do you think the honey is tainted when you treated in April and May? was the super already on with stores in?

Latest posts

Back