Paypal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - and steward of 8 others.
Hi guys,

Just got an email from Paypal, saying that they're decoupling from eBay and are changing their legal agreements with their users. So I thought I'd take a look.

There's reams of it - but I got no further than the first change.
It seemed so startling that I thought I'd ask what others think about it:

Intellectual Property

We are adding a new paragraph to section 1.3., which outlines the licence and rights that you give to us and to the PayPal Group (see paragraph 12 below for the definition of “PayPal Group”) to use content that you post for publication using the Services. A similar paragraph features in the Privacy Policy, which is removed by the addition of this paragraph to the User Agreement. The new paragraph at section 1.3 reads as follows:

“When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and the PayPal Group’s use of such content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.”

Wow! Does this mean that anything I might funnel through Paypal will belong to them, and that they can do what they like with it, without consultation, interference or redress??

So, for example, my business website: they could override my copyright if I channel it through them in any of their services?

Or am I just in an advanced state of paranoia?

Dusty

I read it and gasped, but then I wondered what I use them for, just collecting and paying money through them. Now if they were to become something else like another seller buyer site such as eBay then I might be more worried. I will just ensure all I use them for is money transactions!
E

Dusty,

I think it is because they will be dealing with sites like ebay that some elements of that content you have generated (an auction) may be shown elsewhere. Therefore, to avoid infringing your copyright, you sign it away when you agree to use their services.

In most cases it won't be an issue, but if you use certain pictures, I'd be sure to watermark them if they are your own and you were worried about losing revenue from them being on the interweb and no longer under your control (such as that exists).

Hi guys,

Just got an email from Paypal, saying that they're decoupling from eBay and are changing their legal agreements with their users. So I thought I'd take a look.

There's reams of it - but I got no further than the first change.
It seemed so startling that I thought I'd ask what others think about it:

Intellectual Property

We are adding a new paragraph to section 1.3., which outlines the licence and rights that you give to us and to the PayPal Group (see paragraph 12 below for the definition of “PayPal Group”) to use content that you post for publication using the Services. A similar paragraph features in the Privacy Policy, which is removed by the addition of this paragraph to the User Agreement. The new paragraph at section 1.3 reads as follows:

“When providing us with content or posting content (in each case for publication, whether on- or off-line) using the Services, you grant the PayPal Group a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity, trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights against the PayPal Group, its sublicensees or assignees. You represent and warrant that none of the following infringe any intellectual property right: your provision of content to us, your posting of content using the Services, and the PayPal Group’s use of such content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.”

Wow! Does this mean that anything I might funnel through Paypal will belong to them, and that they can do what they like with it, without consultation, interference or redress??

So, for example, my business website: they could override my copyright if I channel it through them in any of their services?

Or am I just in an advanced state of paranoia?

Dusty

Haven't had that email yet - but they're welcome to my overdraft whenever they want it :D

The relevant part is "using the Services" as provided by PayPal. If it's on a PayPal site they can copy it elsewhere. But realistically, all you're going to put on Paypal sites is details of transactions. Unless they branch into something else, like classified ads.

Many of these contracts are written in catch all style, but if they tried to enforce some of the more tenuous clauses they wouldn't be enforceable in court. They don't have rights to your commercial site because you host a PayPal button on it.

They would only wanted to advertise somebody else site to show how many people use PP.

If you do a google search for something at B&Q or Screwfix.......then go onto ebay..you can bet that an ad banner will be at the top of the page for the products you were looking at.

I think it's just more of the same ... ebay and paypal have spent years tying their users down to exactly what they want ... providing 'user security' that really only stops users from circumventing their collection of fees. I use ebay and paypal extensively and whilst some of their 'terms and conditions' and practices annoy the hell out of me they are both very useful and if you want to use them you are largely stuck with anything they dictate.

I think that both paypal and ebay milk users for every penny they can get and I try to avoid paying them any more than I have to ... this change won't make any difference as it's just about intellectual property ... however, the split from ebay could ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...5-pressure-hedge-fund-magnate-Carl-Icahn.html

I dont very often carry any money...I use my PP card to pay for everything..

Credit card companies keep emailing me and saying my credit limit has been increased.
I only use them on-line if I havent got enough in my PP account.

Latest posts

Back