Warm weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And do you live in some area where there are no resistant mites.

Last edited:
Then i would suspect you do have them,as most of the uk does now,i stopped using these 7 years ago,they did not work,we had resistant mites down in the southwest in 2002. so i am just thinking this could be some of the reason for so many mites.

Yes and that is good,and the oxalic is now doing a good job,but in the future you will need to use an alternative treatment, like thymol.

I think the fact that I have been using other "treatments" through-out the year and I consider myself to be a progressive and pro-active keeper, has meant the hives are strong and could survive this apparent (by other forum posters) high number of mites.

I will contact my local association and inform them of my findings. Others in my area might not be as vigilant and may be 100% relying on the bavarol strips and not planning OA.

I will then also consider contacting my local bee inspector again reporting my mite drop.

Jim

Thats just what happened down here,they kept using the bayvarol,and the colonys died,lots of them.

With the warm September I do wonder what everyones mite drop is with OA ?

I know its a silly question Jim but do you weir glasses,are you sure some of the bits are Mites and not just uncappings?

LOL, as one of the younger (ist) beekeepers about, no I do not wear glasses!

They where more then clear enough varroa mites.

I have just emailed my local association (who also is the thorns rep and sells the bavarol strips) to inform him of my mite drop and to let others know.

I did buy the QA from him, but again, others who use the strips might think why they would need to OA if they have used the strips.

Jim

I may get different results to you as I did the same as Hivemaker and mixed up my own Thymol treatment with crystals and oil at the end of August.

I never realised you were one of the younger members,oops!

Admin

I will start a new thread in relation to Varroa and resistance to Bavarol and cross reference this one.

I think it is important others are made aware / reminded.

Jim

Hi Admin
I then used the varroa strips at the end of August for the 6 weeks.

So varroa has had 8 or 9 weeks to increase numbers. This is about 6 varroa lifecycles and they can double their numbers each lifecycle. So a total drop of 100 doesn't sound too bad. But if it's 100 day after day that would be a worry.

Latest posts

Back