hive kicked over

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolknchance

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The one of te 2 colonies ive lost were kicked over by a game keeper,My Beemaster uprighted it at 1 in morning with no kit I was attacked a few tomes but think they were wasps who had entered through many entrances after the kick over,I now sit and wait or guard in early hours to ask him why he has done this,would this b a reason for them to leave as we relocated that hive?????????

could you please clarify/add some context?
if this relates to another thread/post please either continue in that thread in future or at least reference anything appropriate.

are you asking whether a tipped, open, robbed hive (open for unknown period) is likely to abscond following righting and relocation?

Why did he kick it over?

Is it sited next to a release pen or nr a tunnel trap?

Have you spoken to him?

In the winter I'm adding hive strapped to mine because we had some kicked over by vandals. At least with straps the boxes stay together.

The gamekeepers I know are inquiring fellows and its just possible he may have been testing the stability of the teetering stack.

sure it wasn't a deer, badger or wild boar that was responsible?

in my case it was the latter (hive survived despite being open on it's side overnight in late november - castellations in brood do have some advantages - frames couldn't squash together).

Even the deer around here like to rub their itchy bums on my hives. I caught 3 of them in amongst mine last week.:rolleyes:

or other more mundane large mammals (sheep, cows)?

if this is a possibility, however remote, ask mons ab for pics of his hive set up.

Gamekeepers are either ignorant bastards or (some) are in tune with the environment!
I have been privileged to have known many of the latter... would never ever ever kick over a hive!

Sadly the ilk who go shooting for pleasure seem not to consider anything but their own selfish desires.. feeding pheasant with growth hormone feed etc etc... an industry I would like to see banned!!!
My opinion!!

shooters

Gamekeepers are either ignorant bastards or (some) are in tune with the environment!
I have been privileged to have known many of the latter... would never ever ever kick over a hive!

Sadly the ilk who go shooting for pleasure seem not to consider anything but their own selfish desires.. feeding pheasant with growth hormone feed etc etc... an industry I would like to see banned!!!
My opinion!!
Actually there are a lot of hides for the shooters,,i will get him a matter of time who ever it is,ive ben checking hives every ngt and early morn but to no avail yet but if it happens he will get a shock of his life your right they are extremely ignorant

inquiring

The gamekeepers I know are inquiring fellows and its just possible he may have been testing the stability of the teetering stack.
im sorry if I catch him he will be inquiring about a dentist.

My opinion!!

As part of the selfish ilk, yes I go shooting, yes I enjoy it. Heaven forbid I can enjoy such a thing!

Do I feel compelled to comment on what other people choose to do in there spare time? No.

Ask a vegan what he or she feels about beekeeping maybe if the powers that be had a choice everything would be banned.

Growth hormone? Is there evidence of this?

Maybe there GM peasants created in a Laboratory!

My opinion.

Actually there are a lot of hides for the shooters,,i will get him a matter of time who ever it is,ive ben checking hives every ngt and early morn but to no avail yet but if it happens he will get a shock of his life your right they are extremely ignorant

Hides for shooters?

Is it possible your placing your hive to close to where people are working?

Have you spoken the gamekeeper in question?

extremely ignorant? Your generalising a whole range of people in a professional occupation. If the gamekeepers you've met are ignorant, it is disappointing. But to group a whole profession like that I find slightly racist.

As part of the selfish ilk, yes I go shooting, yes I enjoy it. Heaven forbid I can enjoy such a thing!

Do I feel compelled to comment on what other people choose to do in there spare time? No.

Ask a vegan what he or she feels about beekeeping maybe if the powers that be had a choice everything would be banned.

My opinion.

Hides for shooters?

Is it possible your placing your hive to close to where people are working?

Have you spoken the gamekeeper in question?

extremely ignorant? Your generalising a whole range of people in a professional occupation. If the gamekeepers you've met are ignorant, it is disappointing. But to group a whole profession like that I find slightly racist.

Thanks foxy - saves me saying it.never heard of feeding gamebirds growth hormones. Can't say i've met any ignorant gamekeepers either although i do know they don't suffer fools gladly.
Hides for shooters all over the place? any sign of a pond? did you ask anyone before you slapped your hive there? if I was the landowner I wouldn't allow hives near a flight pond, you'd be asking for trouble

My opinion.

I also enjoy shooting and fishing, but I grew up rough shooting wild stuff, and each time I've been invited on a pheasant shoot I've much preferred the exercise and changing landscape of beating to standing at a pegg waiting for these essentially domestic fowl to be driven at me, makes me feel a bit uncomfortable . Still shot a few though, and I enjoy eating the birds too.

But to group a whole profession like that I find slightly racist.

Are gamekeepers a separate race, or maybe a whole different species, all the ones I know are hairy bar stewards.

Still dont know how he knows it is a gamekeeper, has there been friction before, most likley cause is roe dear or local youths doing a bit vandalism , ,I hope the local game keeper doesn't sue him for libel , this is an open to the world forum

i have had shooters use my old hives in Hertfordshire for cover, but they normally only do it once

Last edited:
I've had a hive peppered with shot before, I put it down to kids having fun, no real damage.

Back