bees out and about

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debzbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I'm a bit worried and wonder if I need to be? Not having seen my little darlings for a couple of weeks they are suddenly out and about. Looks like they're foraging, very docile and seen a couple look like they're dying. Just worried that they're starving,but when I hefted the hive it seems pretty heavy. Don't want to open the hive at this time of year...should I worry or wait and see and then feed?:rolleyes:

I have the same. I was going out to get the oxalic ready and they are out & about. Is it worth treating at the moment?
Is there likely to be brood if they are out?

If the hive is heavy, then they have enough stores.
Keep hefting them and if they are heavy enough, leave them to it.
You will do more damage by opening it.
Besides, there is nothing you can do, except feed anyway, and you don't need to open the hive for that.

The only other thing you can look for is signs of dysentry on the hive (bee pooh). That might indicate a problem, but again, you don't need to open for that.

Seeing dying bees is a natural mortality.
At the moment more bees will be dying than being raised.

Come Spring time, the tide will turn and gradually the colony numbers will be on the increase again.

Leave the bees to it.
Trust them they know what they're doing!bee-smillie

Hold back on the OA for a week or two won't hurt either.
Precisely :)
My thoughts when having a peek in the apiary today!
Only one colony flying (It's also the heaviest) only a few bees but are bringing pollen back, white and the loads are tiny but definitely POLLEN :)
No Idea from what but with this balmy weather ,I won't hazard a guess :).
VM
PS checked varroa inserts , not a mite spotted although ,inserts haven't been looked at for a couple of weeks.

Much releived thanks...now I can go away with a relaxed mind...I think!

Grand.
Thats what I thought. Is there likely to be brood in there in this weather? I'm just wondering, but not going to open the hive just for that question.

Pete, do you not think that the brood will be at a minimum right now? The lengthening days will act a major stimulus for brood production very soon. Have you looked or are you guessing?

No such worries up here. My oxalic is ready to go on - perhaps once tomorrow's gales are out of the way.

Have you looked or are you guessing?

Hi Gavin.
no i am not guessing,bees in this area have got brood,but of course this is a mild area, and we have had no real cold spell compared to Scotland.
Breed bees may make a difference as well of course,and so could poly hives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back