Beekeeping Forum  

Go Back   Beekeeping Forum > Beekeeping General Section > Beekeeping Forum
HOME Video Photo Albums Beekeeping Chat My Threads/ Replies

Beekeeping Forum The main forum to chat about Beekeeping in general.

Old 9th April 2011, 12:11 AM   #1
chrischris

New Bee

Hive Type: National
Number Of Hives: 12 + nucs
Unhappy Weed Killing

Hi fellow bee keepers, this might sound like a moan but this morning when walking my dogs round the local football/playing fields saw this chap with a full white boiler suit, white wellies and full breathing mask on walking round the field edges spraying something from a pressurised spraying system. To cut a long story short he was a council employee and was spraying weed killer. He said it was to kill all the weeds around the field edges where the mower could not get into, he did say it was environmentally safe?. My thoughts are what effect it would have on the bees, butterflys and insects, if it was that safe how come he was so well protected. So not only have farmers spraying to contend with but now the council as well.
chrischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Skyhook

Queen Bee

Hive Type: 14x12
Number Of Hives: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischris View Post
Hi fellow bee keepers, this might sound like a moan but this morning when walking my dogs round the local football/playing fields saw this chap with a full white boiler suit, white wellies and full breathing mask on walking round the field edges spraying something from a pressurised spraying system. To cut a long story short he was a council employee and was spraying weed killer. He said it was to kill all the weeds around the field edges where the mower could not get into, he did say it was environmentally safe?. My thoughts are what effect it would have on the bees, butterflys and insects, if it was that safe how come he was so well protected. So not only have farmers spraying to contend with but now the council as well.
Rather depends what it was- but probably not a problem. The only real chance of it harming bees is if he was spraying with the weeds in flower- but then most herbicides would still be OK, after all they're not designed to attack insects.

(OK RAB, your turn )
Old 9th April 2011, 12:34 AM   #3
nosmoking

Users Country Flag
Number Of Hives: 1 Arrived 30/04/2013

Happens where I live in Southampton as well. Most years and, I reckon it's been going on for about 7/8 years they use a motorized buggy and drive on the pavements spraying along the edge of properties. Like you say, why are they in full contamination gear? Makes you wonder! Just seems to me that nobody in power CARES!
Old 9th April 2011, 12:36 AM   #4
tonybloke

Queen Bee

Hive Type: Commercial
Number Of Hives: 3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs

probably sprayng 'roundup' or similar,a herbicide, not an insecticide

btw, don't your council spray all the footpath edges, car-parks, sides of roads, etc
tonybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Brosville
Queen Bee

Hive Type: TBH
Number Of Hives: 4

Setting aside the possible toxic effects (glyphosate is far from the benign substance we're led to believe), "weeds" are essential for all sorts of beneficial insects - no wonder all sorts of wildlife is in crisis......
Brosville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Skyhook

Queen Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosville View Post
Setting aside the possible toxic effects (glyphosate is far from the benign substance we're led to believe), "weeds" are essential for all sorts of beneficial insects - no wonder all sorts of wildlife is in crisis......
The good news is on larger areas eg road verges. Hard to believe they used to spray them with lawn weed killer to keep them tidy- now they are more likely to sow wild-flower mixes.
Old 9th April 2011, 08:02 AM   #7
steve1958

Field Bee

Users Country Flag
Hive Type: Langstroth
Number Of Hives: 10

They wont be spraying for long.
With all the Goverment cut backs the poor guy will probably be unemployed by August
Old 9th April 2011, 09:16 AM   #8
fox403

House Bee

I understand pesticide issue for possibly having an affect on bees and needs a lot more research but now jumping on the herbicide crusade to is a bit much, in 80s 90s most of the stronger chemicals were banned which left us with glyphosate that is the chemical all councils use now, we wear coveralls and willies as is the uniform to wear when carrying 20lts on your back I never worn mask as U donít need it, guys love to see all grass verges with mass colour wild flowers but U have seen roads pavements ect push apart with invasive weeds what should we do ?
fox403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 10:00 AM   #9
oliver90owner
Queen Bee

(OK RAB, your turn )

Skyhook, you were spot on.

Brossy added a bit about lack of forage for all the food chain above the producer.

You need to remember that some weedkillers and perhaps the delivery agents can be harmful to the operative in either small or excessive doses.

Gramoxone was a very reliable defoliant, but lethal if drunk by design or mistake.

So using the full PPE should not be regarded as OTT. Sensible person doing a less than sensible task IMO. Remember (s)he might be spraying for hours at a time (apart from tea breaks); problems with safety of chemicals may only manifest themselves after some considerable time and exposure (think smoking cigarettes and perhaps asbestos exposure, for examples here).

Regards, RAB
oliver90owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Brosville
Queen Bee

Hive Type: TBH
Number Of Hives: 4

"but now jumping on the herbicide crusade to is a bit much" totally fails to take on board the damage done by habitat destructon - if you treat one part of "nature" the knock-on effects must be taken into account.
Latest research is also showing that glyphosate is implicated in several problems like cancer, genetic damage and ADD - as RAB says "full space suit job" for the sprayer is not being over-cautious.
Brosville is offline   Reply With Quote