Module 3

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiespangle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone doing the module exams next week? I'm doing module 3, it seems straightforward.

Had planned to do it but circumstances dictated otherwise.... too little time and too many other things to do!!
Have done the 'basic' reading plus a little more - at least I now have the Winter to read up some more. Will be doing a module or two in the Spring.

Good luck for the exam.

Good luck. I was planning to also but things change. Intending to so do in March now.

I'm doing module 3 too. I thought it seemed rather difficult.

Anyone want to answer questions on amoeba? i am stuck.

Apart from Spring dwindling what are the symptoms?

Davis says that you can sometimes spot the cysts when you are doing microscopy for Nosema, interesting but none the wiser - what do they look like? How big are they compared to Nosema?

Is there really no treatment apart from clean combs?

Outwardly none. Mixed up with nosema sometimes. Clean comb/good management. Something to ask a latin name for ;)

Thanks. It will be over soon. :hairpull::calmdown: I'll go off and try to learn about foulbrood again too. Good heads up looking at past papers.

I expect you wouldn't be posting this if beekeepers chose not to memorize the signs of AFB and EFB? Same flippin' exam...

It didnt raise a smile then ?

Bee virus X is associated with Amoeba.
The cysts are grainy and circular, larger than the rice shaped nosema spores.
The spores are destroyed by acetic acid.

(All from Bucks notes and Davis)

Yes, it made me smile. It is a bit of a sore point though, as the way the exams are at the moment means that they favour those who are used to long written exams and those who are good at rote learning. I'm still finding them useful though.

PS thanks BlackComb. I think the Bucks notes are good too.

Did anyone attend the Mod 3 workshop at the honey show and was it worthwhile?

Bee virus X is associated with Amoeba.
The cysts are grainy and circular, larger than the rice shaped nosema spores.
The spores are destroyed by acetic acid.

(All from Bucks notes and Davis)

agree

Malpighamoeba is mainly seen in older or winter bees as the amoeba has a 28 day life cycle to produce spores

Amoeba is associated with nosema, but most likely only because both are spread in the same manner at the same time of year, rather than any particular affinity or interaction. It's an odd infection because it can be diagnosed periodically under a medium powered microscope but there is little report of harmful effects noted either for individual bees or at the colony level. We saw some two years ago. At a colony level it tends to clear up by early summer; infected bees simply take cleansing flights outdoors so the bee-to-bee transmission is halted.

ETA the malpighamoeba cysts are roughly the same diameter as the length of nosema spores.

Back