bulk buying honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
on another forum i use they club together to buy glass containers at whole sale prices and they buy by the pallet full, they send someone down to where ever to collect /buy the bottles and people either collect via moter way service stations or by the van delivering at cost to them or to a slightly closer area, ie from london east along the m4 to bristol then to the m5 up north to liverpool, and this does work out very much cheaper than shop brought stuff. what are other peoples opinions and thoughts on this idea? and does it want working out to better details to see what the costs are and there savings

Buying in bulk would have to be cheaper as most are charging £15 delivery for a gross (144) of jars.

and I have access to a long wheelbase sprinter!

I also go out and about at least once a week enabling me to fill up my car on a regular basis.... planning is the key!

Think you need an articulated lorry or two to get much of a deal.

Pallet full from bristol company is £31.36 per gross delivered,£28.25,per gross collected,around 17 gross on the pallet,just for a comparison.

Pete,
any chance of putting a pallet in the bee shed for me to collect as i am quite close?

we can store them at my place for people not on the drive home route to collect as i am on the M5 J1 which is pretty central to most people, but the choice is up to you where they get dropped

but more to the point hivemaker has put a price of £28.25 per gross, i dont know if that is plus vat or including vat but at that price ,144 gross jars will set you back 19.6pence each, and again either plus vat or not

can anyone do or get this cheaper, and is 20pence per jar an exceptable price ?

Last year Wynne Jones was selling 15 Gross @ £29.00

I expect they may of gone up this year rather than down so they are out.

so that sounds like a good price,
hivemaker in your experience is it worth bulk buying jars in this manor or is it a waste of time
Depends if you have plenty of spare money to tie up with jars. The only real saving is if you buy an articulated lorry load,as a friend of mine does,but a lot of money tied up. I just buy them shrink wrapped on a pallet as i need them.

Last edited:
i real appresheate the cander hiver maker but i cant afford a 50footer of jam jars there is no way i will get them under the stairs at home and the bee shed is full of flat pack hives nucs and frames at the moment

so as it stands can anyone see if these prices are any good to them, if we were to collect a pallet and then drive up the m5 going north dropping off on the way petrol split say five ways would be a rough ten pound note each. that could also be about the same to go from bristol along the south coast towards porthsmouth and then home

Time you mess about sorting out your petrol money,and time,your better to just get them to deliver.
Anyway,man of your talents,thought you would be making your own bio diesel,not using petrol vehicles.

Last edited:
used to when i lived in wales chip fats and rape seed oil great fun but this car is petrol because i had a van for work and never used a car we brought a very nice car , i am a bit of a petrol head so we brought a 2litre petrol we are going to do a gas convertion when the pennies allow but have been busy buying every thing but a gas set

and you are right about the delivery costs this is why i was asking your opinion as you have done this better and more often than me,

this does leave one question if your friend buys a lorry load at a time if i was to have a weekend away near his area would he sell a couple of gross for cash, a weekend away and a car full of jars sounds good

My truck loves bio diesel,35-40p litre,i love that bit.

Yes, he sells jars to loads of beekeepers in this area,but for just under retail price,thats why he does it,they don't seem to go looking for better deals.:mad:

Latest posts

Back