Extracting the old fashioned way?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenMurray

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any experience of home made extractors? Im going to get my first honey crop this year and cant afford to buy an extractor does anyone know of an alternative method?

how was it done pre mechanical extractor and do you have to destroy the comb without an extractor? Ive thought about melting the comb and settling but that seems a waste of a lot of the girls hard work.

Any thoughts appreciated

Ben

I just extracted my first honey on saturday, first time using my extractor so I totaly destroyed the first two frames by spinning to fast and also dragged to comb slightly on a couple of others until I got used to the uncapping knife.

To cut a long story short, I put the damaged comb and cappings into doubled up muslin and put it in my fruit press then pressed the comb and out came the honey loverly and clear. The other upside I found was that when you open up the fruit press and unwrap the cappings/comb the wax is in a nice compact block that is easily stored.

On sunday I went to the associations beginners meeting and said what I had done to get the honey out and was told that is how my mentors extract the honey from the cappings.

Obviously the downside is that it destoys any comb in the process.

1. If your honey is for your own consumption only, you could use an old tin-plated extractor. They are only worth about £10 as they cannot be used for honey which is for sale to the public. Many beekeeping associations know of the whereabouts of these old extractors, and will probably be realistic about the value.

You should satisfy your self that it's clean enough, and to that extent, it's your own business. I would be prepared to use a carefully checked and cleaned example for myself.

Don't be mis-led by the adverts you see on ebay, the sellers don't seem to realize the old metal extractors are not allowed if you intend to sell your honey.

2. Hedgerow Pete has done a video, available on this forum, on how to make a low cost extractor.

3. Thornes were doing a special offer at the Stoneleigh Show of a two frame plastic extractor complete for £80. They might have one left. It's not in their general catalogue.

4. Join your local beekeeping association, they usually have extractors which you can hire at an economic price for a few days. Thats what I'm going to do at the moment.

JC.

3. Thornes were doing a special offer at the Stoneleigh Show of a two frame plastic extractor complete for £80. They might have one left. It's not in their general catalogue.

They have now added it to their catalogue.

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin...spage&THISPAGE=page15.html&ORDER_ID=851987577

But the price is £108.70 this is the one I have and it works very well as long as you dont spin it too fast.

Oh and trying to keep the kids from playing with it is a real pain as well.

Last edited:
Just had a watch of petes video simple ideas are always the best thanks guys and thanks Hedgerow Pete.

Ben

I just extracted my first honey on saturday, first time using my extractor so I totaly destroyed the first two frames by spinning to fast and also dragged to comb slightly on a couple of others until I got used to the uncapping knife.

To cut a long story short, I put the damaged comb and cappings into doubled up muslin and put it in my fruit press then pressed the comb and out came the honey loverly and clear. The other upside I found was that when you open up the fruit press and unwrap the cappings/comb the wax is in a nice compact block that is easily stored.

On sunday I went to the associations beginners meeting and said what I had done to get the honey out and was told that is how my mentors extract the honey from the cappings.

Obviously the downside is that it destoys any comb in the process.
Hi Chris

Last year you mentioned your fruit press, where did you get it from. Can you tell me any details of size ect.

Kathy

Does anyone have any experience of home made extractors? Im going to get my first honey crop this year and cant afford to buy an extractor does anyone know of an alternative method?

how was it done pre mechanical extractor and do you have to destroy the comb without an extractor? Ive thought about melting the comb and settling but that seems a waste of a lot of the girls hard work.

Any thoughts appreciated

Ben

Can't you rent one of your local association? Ours charges £5 for one (of three in fact), and our local beekeeping suppliers also has one for rent.

Adam

cut the comb out of the frame - bung into bowl and slice to smithereens with sharp knife (or stick your hands in and crush the comb by hand) - then pour into sieve over stainless saucepan on sunny window sill........leave for 3-4 days, job done!
For small amounts and home consumption I really can't see the point in all the high-techery - you've probably got all you need in the kitchen.........
There's some excellent videos on Youtube demonstrating "crush and strain":cheers2:

Its worth asking around.
Maybe a local Beekeeper will help.
I know someone local to me that charges £5 or a jar of Honey to use his extractor.
:cheers2:

Re Crush and strain.
As long as readers (new beeks in particular) realise it is far better to be crushing and straining comb only used only for storing honey. Probably do you no harm, but remember there are the remains of previous larval occupation in comb used used for brood. In the old days when protein was perhaps a little more important in the diet.....

Regards, RAB

Back