Damage to Queen's wings?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a look through my nuc this afternoon and located the queen. There is a small bit of damage to her left wingtip. Is this a concern? She isn't laying yet, but I am worried that this damage could stop her from mating. How long should I leave it until I inspect the nuc again?

A nice looking queen. The small amount of damage to her left wing should not effect her flight. As a rule I leave her alone for 3 weeks after she has emerged, then check weekly for eggs. Having said that there have been cases this year where it has taken 5 weeks from emergence to laying.
Mike

Last edited:
She will be laying next week,I can feel it in me water :cheers2:

Folks please leave virgins alone to give them a good chance to get going.

Fretting over them and constantly trying to find the virgin achieves precisely nothing.

Open up after a week to QUICKLY check the nuc is in good shape, no smoke please. Close up and leave alone for another two weeks, and then have a quick peep for eggs/larvae.

That's all that is needed. ANYTHING ELSE is a hindrance.

No offence but how long did it take to get that pic I wonder?

PH

Fretting over them and constantly trying to find the virgin achieves precisely nothing.

PH I agree and I don’t, if people want to have a look and get closer to the action then let them as long as they understand the risks, have a peak/look/shake the whole darn hive about if you want - worst case they loose the queen or get stung :ack2:, it ant the end of the world and there is a good chance they will learn a little.

I could list just as many skills and bits of knowledge gained from poking around as you can for not do it - I understand what you are saying but its an individuals choice.

In this case what a great picture, and a good answer in terms of her flight not being impacted.

Jez

PS Nice black queen, would like to see her again in a couple of months time

I strongly disagree jezd. That is terrible advice. Rough bee handling has it's place, ie Taranoff Swarming but to do it for the hell of it is plan daft.

Bees can kill. They do kill. Rough handling provokes incredible stinging, and if you have not experienced that then you are not posting on the basis of knowledge but theory.

But then you believe there are no rules eh?

PH

I think you should chill out, he has 6 hives and clearly knowns how to handle bees to a level (far more than me I am sure).

The more rules you push out the less people are likely to take BK up, maybe that the idea? anyway..its my view.

Folks please leave virgins alone to give them a good chance to get going. PH

PH
You posted in a previous thread that you marked virgin queens and that is certainly not standard practice.

I would say that queen is able to fly and mate ok. I have seen a few queens this year which hatched with really stubby or deformed wings, but that one looks allright to me. Nice and dark as well which is a personal preference.

I agree with PH
Until a queen is mated, laying and producing sealed worker brood the colony as a whole is unstable. frequent inspections during this period CAN and often DOES make the bees do unpredictable things.:(
Sound advice to newbies and oldbies leave the bees and virgin in peace for at least 3 weeks after confirming emergence.
:cheers2: Mike

Marking virgins is not unusual. Not "standard practice" for the vast majority of ssmall level keepers certainly yes.

jezd? "The more rules you push out the less people are likely to take BK up, maybe that the idea? anyway..its my view."

There are indeed rules in beekeeping that you at your peril, as I mentioned before are not to be flaunted.

Un-necessary inspections, lengthy inspections for no good reason, rough handling etc will all have a detrimental affect on the bees. Until you have a bit more knowledge I would advise some caution in your posts. I am pushing no rules, I happen to have the knowledge and experience to know which rules are vital and advise accordingly. I do not profess to be infallible nor by a country mile perfect, but believe me I will not steer anyone wrongly for the fun of it.

PH

Latest posts

Back