When do wax moth become a problem?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
When do wax moth generally become a problem? I have had a couple of drawn empty supers lying in my garage for a few weeks and I know we have a lot of moths outside at the moment so just a little concerned in case any eggs have been laid in my frames.

Hi Rob55,
Lots of wax moth around this year. Saw one stroll into one of my strong hives in the middle of the afternoon. I would freeze the frames before stacking with roof on and wrapped in thick plastic bag/s!

Are undrawn frames with foundation a problem or is it more likely to be drawn frames to watch out for?

:iagree: with Beeno.
They make a terrible mess.

Are undrawn frames with foundation a problem or is it more likely to be drawn frames to watch out for?

Foundation is less likely to be attacked, but may 'dry out' in storage. Wrapping may help, but it can be 'freshened up' with a gentle waft of a hairdryer before use.

Its the old cocoon silk (protein source for the moth larvae) in used brood frames that is the real magnet...

They are attracted to drawn frames, I think.I've had a box of foundation out all season ready for an AS that wasn't needed and it's still OK.

Not with beano!

Supers, particularly wet ones with no brooded cells are far safer than brooded frames.

No need for a roof if they are in your garage, just need to be waxmoth-free and stacked with, say, a fine mesh below and a crownboard above, or similar. They benefit by being held tightly together to avoid any small gaps where moth may otherwise gain entry. Seal any imperfections.

Waxmoth damage to foundation is possible but unlikely. There should not be undrawn foundation in frames, shirley? It will only dry out and warp. Undrawn foundation is always best stored in the original packaging and preferably sealed. It is usually warm brood comb that is most at risk, more so if stored close together as they are in a hive or closer if plastic spacers are removed.

Best thing to do is inspect them for damage now. Waxmoth can be a nuisance all year round if it not a cold winter.

RAB

Not with Oliver,
Our apiary lost a whole stack of supers stored in insulated but unheated shed to wax moth last winter - of the same opinion as you I guess. Oh, and frames treated with Certan or whatever it is called!

Some like to freeze the extracted frames and store wet.. ready for next season.

Whilst frames are in the deepfreeze... blowtorch the super boxes to fry and wax moth eggs etc.

Grandad used to stack the wet frames in supers above an empty brood box that had either a sulphur candle lit or a strong chip shop pickling vinegar acid stuff ( ethanoic acid?... is that glacial acetic acid)) and put a roof on with newspaper under it

Remember it used to stink out the garage!

I've stacked my supers (quite a few) in a shed with old QE's below and crownboards on top and never had a problem with wax month in them.

Brood chambers are a different story! It's worth an occaisional visual inspection if like me you don't have access to a deep freezer atm.

I have lost a few brood frames in the past, luckily the older manky ones that should have been melted down anyway!

Not with beano!

There should not be undrawn foundation in frames, shirley? It will only dry out and warp. Undrawn foundation is always best stored in the original packaging and preferably sealed.

RAB

You're right,of course...sheer laziness on my part.
The frames are now safely inside wrapped in cling film; ready with the hairdryer next season.

I have stored wet super frames for three winters in a stack of wooden supers Outside, travel screen on the bottom with roof on top; never any problem.
I left one lot in a poly box and mice got to them so all frames now go into wooden boxes.

Oh dear beano. If you were to a) make sure the boxes were wax moth free and b) ensure there was no access for them later, there should be no waxmoth damage/infestation, shirley. Simple beekeeping practice.

Not with beano!

Supers, particularly wet ones with no brooded cells are far safer than brooded frames.

No need for a roof if they are in your garage, just need to be waxmoth-free and stacked with, say, a fine mesh below and a crownboard above, or similar. They benefit by being held tightly together to avoid any small gaps where moth may otherwise gain entry. Seal any imperfections.

Waxmoth damage to foundation is possible but unlikely. There should not be undrawn foundation in frames, shirley? It will only dry out and warp. Undrawn foundation is always best stored in the original packaging and preferably sealed. It is usually warm brood comb that is most at risk, more so if stored close together as they are in a hive or closer if plastic spacers are removed.

Best thing to do is inspect them for damage now. Waxmoth can be a nuisance all year round if it not a cold winter.

RAB

Agreed.
But don't call me Shirley!
(I would like to be called Loretta)

Back