Bees and Graveyards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I drove past our local graveyard the other day and noticed lots of grave with Daffodils placed on them. Will bees forage on these cut flowers? Having rescued a colony from a graveyard last year I'm interested to know are they a good source of all year round forage?

SteveJ

We have zillions of wild daffs here in the Lake District and I have never seen a honey bee on one though Bumbles do use them. They make quite a noise vibrating inside :)

One of my local cemeteries is hugely planted with snowdrops and crocus so those will be a good early source.
I don't know about cut flowers at gravesides though. If you look at the average bunch of flowers there are a lot of double/triple showy sterile blooms these days. Having said that,wasn't there a post from somebody just recently saying they had found a bee on some lilies in the conservatory?

Others will confirm or deny bit I think Daffodils are toxic to bees?

We have zillions of wild daffs here in the Lake District and I have never seen a honey bee on one though Bumbles do use them. They make quite a noise vibrating inside :)

One of my local cemeteries is hugely planted with snowdrops and crocus so those will be a good early source.
I don't know about cut flowers at gravesides though. If you look at the average bunch of flowers there are a lot of double/triple showy sterile blooms these days. Having said that,wasn't there a post from somebody just recently saying they had found a bee on some lilies in the conservatory?
The nursery at at the end of our lane displays a notice to assure customers "THE BEES WILL NOT STING YOU ".
Early spring does see a lot of honeybee activity around the cut flowers (they almost seem to sense when the Dutch box delivery van is due :laughing-smiley-004.)
I often wonder whos' bees they are?

John Wilkinson

The nursery at at the end of our lane displays a notice to assure customers "THE BEES WILL NOT STING YOU ".
Early spring does see a lot of honeybee activity around the cut flowers (they almost seem to sense when the Dutch box delivery van is due :laughing-smiley-004.)
I often wonder whos' bees they are?

John Wilkinson

:):) made me smile
Maybe they are yours, John
Have they read the notice though?

Latest posts

Back